Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Living God's Standard

I couldn't hold the tears in.
I couldn't explain what I felt.
Why is this happening and why do I feel like I'm standing alone?
Is there no one like-minded or am I living too radical?
I was struggling with thoughts like these this past weekend and my heart was so heavy with grief, I wasn't sure how to respond in a godly way.
A group of young people from my church had been discussing their media choices, particularly movies and music, with each other and I joined in the middle of the conversation. The first words I heard as I entered the group shocked me and I had to stop my jaw from dropping open. Some of them were discussing, almost bragging, of how they had watched this R-rated movie on a historical war. My first instinct was to say, "Excuse me? Did you just say 'R-rated movie'?" I knew such movies existed, I just never thought I'd hear a group of young people from my church talk about them in a positive way. Instead of speaking up right away, I listened for a while as he gave a couple excuses as to why the movie was OK to watch. The excuses were, "Well, it's a movie on a war in history, therefore, it's like watching a history lesson." or "Well, there was a few swear words, but you couldn't really hear them clearly because they were said as bombs were going off." or "Not all violence is bad. Not all R-rated movies are bad. They can be historical or even made up."
Well, I couldn't believe my ears and hold in my thoughts any longer. I started by saying that I'm going to say this out of love because I care for their souls (Eph. 4:2) - I think that there is nothing God-honouring in anything that has been said. I reminded them that we should only be filling out minds with things that are true, lovely, honourable, right, and pure (Phil. 4:8), so how could we as professing Christians, watch an R-rated movie with a clear conscience? My heart was so burdened and my sorrow only became deeper as I realized that the group of young people started to defend the movie, instead of Scripture, and that they were offended at me.
I didn't want to offend anyone, but I realized if I did, then maybe it meant they were convicted.
Well, I removed myself from the conversation and the group eventually dispersed. I walked and prayed and cried out to God and pleaded with Him to open these blinded eyes and to forgive them. I didn't understand why, I didn't understand how they could do this, but I did understand that God had plan and purpose for allowing me to hear their conversation.
God answered my prayer while I was still praying...
One of the girls who had been standing in the group of teens came over to me and asked me if I was really bothered by the conversation. We hugged and I poured out how I truly felt, and she listened with all patience and kindness.
This whole time, I had been feeling all alone as though I were the only one to stand up for God's truth and live God's standard. But all along, the girls who had been in the group were all right behind me in their convictions and standards. They had just been afraid to speak up, fearing they might damage a friendship. Eventually, three other girls came over and we all talked for a long time about how we should be living our lives set apart for Christ alone and not conforming to the world.
Philippians 1:27 says, "Only conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or remain absent, I will hear of you that you are standing firm in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel."

As I shared my burdens with these girls, I realized that they were all burdened by similar things. We sat down together and decided to have a prayer time together. As we did, we all broke down into tears and pleaded with the Lord to save these lost souls, to tie us closer together in Christ-likeness, to break down the walls of pride in our own hearts, to humble us and give us a heart of compassion for those who don't know Him, and to calm our hearts, knowing that He is fully in control.
I have never been more encouraged than that night - praying with a group of young ladies who all share a deep passion for Jesus Christ and His Word, and who desire to live a life that is evident to others by our fruit. We decided to try and be more bold in our convictions and to stand together behind God's Word as the ultimate authority and power to change hearts and minds.
I am so encouraged to know I have like-minded friends and that we are all still growing and learning and can do it together!

Colossians 3:12-17
"Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.  Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.  And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity. Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts. And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."

Romans 12:2
"And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect."

Romans 13:14
"But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh in regard to its lusts."

1 Corinthians 10:31
"Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God."

Galations 5:16-23
 "But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh.  For the flesh sets its desire against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; for these are in opposition to one another, so that you may not do the things that you please.  But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the Law. Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality,  idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions,  envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law."

Philippians 3:7-11; 1 Peter 3:18; Colossians 4:2; Ephesians 2:8-9

4 comments:

  1. Aw Rach... I didn't even know that all that happened... but praise God for what He is doing! You know, I've been in very similar situations, and there is such a sorrow... it's so hard when it seems like no one shares your convictions, and there are times when I have to wonder if I'm setting my standards too high - but I can see how my own standards have changed, and will continue to change, as I become more sensitive to the things that offend Christ - and in the end, that is what it comes down to... a love for the glory of God. I'm so thankful that God has brought you and the other girls into my life who share that <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel, dear friend.

    Do I ever know how you feel....and this post was so encouraging....and know that even though I'm miles away, I'm standing beside you.

    Love you, sister!
    ~Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, Maxina and Melanie, you both are so so encouraging to me! Thank you both for your lovely words, I'm so glad we're in this together! God bless <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel, thank you for being honest and sharing openly. :) I face struggles like this so often as well... things I don't understand - lifestyle choices from 'passionate Christians' at my home church too. But I am so thankful that God (in my situation and in yours) is bigger and He is in control. Oh, let us continue to fight for these lost souls! I am praying with you and thinking of you.
    Blessings, sister in Christ!
    Rachael

    ReplyDelete