Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The Blessings of the Family of God

Church family.
What a blessing they are!
God has been so kind in blessing me with this family!
Last night, we had a new family at our church over for dinner. They have the most adorable baby boy and two very sweet little girls. They have only been to our church service twice, but I feel like I've known them forever. We connected immediately and they already feel like family. What a blessing!
I am so encouraged when I meet another family who is serving the Lord with their whole lives and it just spills out of them when you first speak with them. And to feel like family after only a few hours together - I realize it is because we are family in Christ, and what an encouraging thing that is!
This family has been a huge blessing to my parents mainly because of their passion for God, His Word, and their eagerness to start serving in the church. Now this family is unique. They didn't just "find us one Sunday morning" as they drove past. They've been planning on coming for many months. However, they had to sell everything to move here and had to wait for the government to give permission for them to leave the country. This family was led by God to move from South Africa to Canada - from Canada to British Columbia - from British Columbia to the small town of Chilliwack - for the purpose of making Valley Heights Community Church of Chilliwack their new home church! Now that is just amazing to me! Out of all the little places in the world, the Lord directed them here!
This family had to sell everything from their home in South Africa in order to move to a new country, with a new language and a whole different way of living! God is so gracious and has finally brought this family to our church after many months of waiting and praying, and already, they have been a huge blessing in my life!
My "real" family members - aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents - all live in Ontario, so we rarely get to visit them as they live on the other end of the country. I miss them very much, but still, there is something so precious, so close-knit about the family of God. Fellowshiping with people who are in awe of their Creator and who have sacrificed much to serve Him - this is my family. This is our family. You and I are family in Christ and to know that I have thousands of brothers and sisters in Christ around the world - that is incredible. Oh for that day when we will all live in heaven in the presence of God for eternity together!
Psalm 95
Sing to the LORD a new song,
   for he has done marvelous things;
his right hand and his holy arm
   have worked salvation for him.
2 The LORD has made his salvation known
   and revealed his righteousness to the nations.
3 He has remembered his love
   and his faithfulness to Israel;
all the ends of the earth have seen
   the salvation of our God.

 4 Shout for joy to the LORD, all the earth,
   burst into jubilant
song with music;
5 make music to the LORD with the harp,
   with the harp and the sound of singing,
6 with trumpets and the blast of the ram’s horn—
   shout for joy before the LORD, the King.

 7 Let the sea resound, and everything in it,
   the world, and all who live in it.
8 Let the rivers clap their hands,
   let the mountains sing together for joy;
9 let them sing before the LORD,
   for he comes to judge the earth.
He will judge the world in righteousness
   and the peoples with equity."


Our God is an Awesome God
He reigns from heaven above
with wisdom, power, and love
Our God is an Awesome God!

 

1 comment:

  1. WOW! Rachel, that is SO inspiring! Thank you for sharing that story. I've been challenged by a similar thought, actually, and I know God is leading me to places far beyond my home town... state... country. I am excited for the adventure but cautious too of what's left behind and the unknown ahead... this testimony has encouraged me to hold onto all God has for me. Thank you!
    Blessings,
    Rachael

    ReplyDelete